Saturday, May 01, 2010

Getting Close...

For the most part, this week was uneventful until around Friday. Our pastor had to go out of town to be with his family while his mother had open heart surgery, and I had the privilege of speaking in our mid-week Bible study on Wednesday. Thursday was quiet...
 
Friday morning we got to go over into the new side of Omni - P.U.R.E, they call it. If you google it, you get water filters. It's an acronym that I can't remember right now, but they have tractor tires and sledge hammers and sandbags and ropes and all sorts of cool stuff to exercise with. Friday was our first time over there; SOMEBODY who shall remain nameless got a little overzealous with dropping a sandbag near a window, and it shattered the glass. Word is that we are now banned from P.U.R.E. workouts. I don't know if that's the case or not, but if so, that's pretty silly. We can break a $4,000 treadmill with no consequence, but break a $100 (and, I might add, OLD) piece of glass, and we get thrown out. Lovely......
 
One big personal thing for me Friday morning happened after we finished our workout: I walked over to an arrangement of overhead bars, grabbed one I could reach, and attempted a pull-up. The bar started coming closer, and I realized, I WAS DOING MY FIRST-EVER PULL-UP! Nobody was paying attention... so with all the strength I had left, while I was still at the top, I yelled, "JOHNNIE!" THAT got everyone's attention... I was so proud of what I had been able to accomplish, and in that moment, I think the thought finally settled into my mind, "I'm really getting there." Amazing moment for me.
 
Today, Saturday, was the big Plane Pull. We put together a combined team of Biggest Loser contestants, PHC folks, our trainer Johnnie, several folks from NBC including Liz Hill and Navideh Forghani, and a stray football player from another team that we drafted to give us 20 people. The object was to pull a plane 12 feet in the fastest time. Our time was 9.241 seconds; some teams were turning in times under 7 seconds. Can't feel too bad, though... our throw-together team of half men and half ladies beat the U.S. Navy team!
 
We hung around the plane pull a little longer, and then made a beeline back to the church to go bowling with our teens and young adults. It's been a long time since I bowled - at least five years, by my count. A bad back limits what you can do, but I was feeling good today. Man, was I rusty! My first frame was 0/0.... I managed to break 100 the first game, but didn't even break 90 my second game.
 
All this fun was sandwiched between a morning of working on my car, and an evening of yard work. All told, I logged over 13,000 steps walking today.
 
Two weeks from today will be the first day of watching what I eat WITHOUT the pressure of the competition. Final weigh-in is 13 days away, and our final Monday weigh-in is this Monday night. Tonight I ordered a pizza for Steven, and when I opened the lid to make sure they got my order right, I wanted a piece SO badly! Not even a piece - just a bite. There will be a time for moderation, but I will never, EVER forget what all that junk food did to my body, and the work it has taken to get rid of the accumulated consequences. That's one reason why I've written this blog... posted these pictures... I said in an earlier post that they were evidence of my success, but they are also reminders of my past failures. I hope to always hold on to both the positive and the negative sides, because we need different kinds of motivation at different times.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Augusta, Georgia
I am privileged to serve as associate pastor of Lumpkin Road Baptist Church in Augusta, Georgia. I have been married to my wife, Brenda, for 22 years, and have two children, ages 20 and 18. I won the 2010 Augusta's Biggest Loser contest with a record-setting 41.83% weight loss, from 342 lbs to 199 lbs in 6 months.