Sunday, November 04, 2012

Three years ago...

Three years ago, I began blogging about my weight loss journey. I had applied for a spot in "Augusta's Biggest Loser", a local weight loss competition, and I was chosen to be a participant in the third (and unfortunately, final) season. In the six months from November 2, 2009 to May 14, 2010, I lost 143.4 pounds, and pushed my weight down to an astonishing 199.4 pounds. The last eleven days was a starvation/exercise marathon that took me from 208 to 199. I have recounted in earlier blog posts that I kept the weight in the 215 range for a good while, and then it started creeping up as I got lazy with my eating, as well as my gym membership ending. The months from November 2011 through May 2012 were particularly devastating, as my work schedule was just crazy, and I ate what I could, whenever I could. Things kind of came to a head for me yesterday when I had one of those "he came to himself" moments after an all-you-can-eat breakfast (I did), and a church dinner last night where I piled my plate high with many of my favorite foods.
 
In a word, I know exactly what to do, and I'm not doing it. My treadmill sits unused; my heavy bag and weights are right where I put them when we moved; and I put things into my mouth that feed my desire instead of fueling my body. It's time to turn it around.
 
For anyone curious as to what I'm doing: diet - high protein, low carb. Target calories about 1000 per day. Water - all I can drink. Exercise - treadmill, heavy bag, and walking 5 miles per day. Dumbbell and body-weight exercises 3 times per week. Rest - will be going to bed earlier at night to get more sleep (tonight not withstanding - Falcons vs. Cowboys.   )
 
I will be writing frequently -- for me, weight loss is largely a matter of focus, and writing my thoughts out is helpful to me. Warning: if you don't want to hear about it, don't read my blog.
 
Let's DO this!!

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Augusta, Georgia
I am privileged to serve as associate pastor of Lumpkin Road Baptist Church in Augusta, Georgia. I have been married to my wife, Brenda, for 22 years, and have two children, ages 20 and 18. I won the 2010 Augusta's Biggest Loser contest with a record-setting 41.83% weight loss, from 342 lbs to 199 lbs in 6 months.